Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wedding Anniversaries and the things I do for love



So Mr. Demke and I just celebrated 4 years of wedded bliss. 2 weeks ago? October 14th. October 14th 2006.
Although if I was telling you the truth and added up all the actual bliss, it would probably be closer to like 1.7 years of wedded bliss and the rest just just would be wedded life. Kids, diapers, bills, in-laws, ex-laws, doctor visits, illness, injury, moves, renovations, dying animals... You know- the cake. Which is still pretty tasty. We are quite pleased with ourselves that four years into this shenanigan and everyone is still alive and kicking. Thank you, thank you very much.

Once again we spent our anniversary apart. From each other. I was doing my Fresno mom gig and C-Dad was back at home with the little ones. Just for one night this year. In past years we have spent the whole week apart. I had to leave in the morning to go to Fresno to bring Gavin back to Norco. Don' t try to figure it out. You'll get a headache. Speaking of headaches.. We also both got the flu. I was in bed the whole day prior and Christian got sick the next day. Let's just say we've had more romantic celebrations. I did call him to wish him a happy day and ask how many times he threw up. Fortunately, neither one of us is that sentimental so we are down with celebrating all major holidays, birthdays and anniversaries any time within 3 weeks of the actual date it falls on. As long as I get a meal out of it I don't have to cook, I'm good.

In true Christian fashion I was presented with a sweet, thoughtful, lovely gift this year and I would like to think that even though what I gave him was free-- my gesture was just as grand. If good-sportsmanship cost money this would be one very lavish token of my love. That and Christian bought his own present again. But this is what I gave him. Being the thoughtful and generous wife I am.

I went hiking with him and the little boys.

He planned a hiking trip with the boys and asked if I would go and I agreed. Happy Anniversary.

I don't think Christian thought I would actually do it. Even on the way up, he kept saying- "I didn't really think you would do this." Well dear husband- wonders never cease to exist with me. I am not the woman you think I am. I would do anything for love. I would even do that.

The plan was a hard 3 mile hike and we made it 1. Christian was worried I would be hungry and cold (valid concerns) so he packed a lot of gear. And the hike was- ahem- a little out of our league. Like- a lot, completely and totally out of our (my) league. This was no stroll in the woods. No. It was hard laborious hiking up and over boulders, rock and switch back. It was more like a climb. A climb with a 35 pound back pack. If you are a hiker you know how ridiculous that is. 45 pounds on Christian AND he had Jay in a baby pack on his back attached to his backpack AND he had to carry Sheldon most of the way.

I never once complained (thank you) but about a half mile into it I told him I knew for absolute sure, there was no way in this life at this present moment I was going to make it 3 miles. Not if he wanted to celebrate a 5th anniversary. No objections from him. We were done. We made the mile and half mark. Woo.
But I would say the biggest challenge was no fires allowed in the park and since you can only bring up what you can carry-- we had no chairs... Think about it. I will pee (almost) anywhere but I struggle when I don't have a comfortable place to sit and I have to stand and eat stew out of a can. Not my thing.




This was our little camp site. That Target bag and the canister he is sitting on. That was it. As you can see- not much to do. At one (and many) point, boredom set in so I pulled out my ipod and we practiced some of our karaoke songs and harmonies, taking full advantage that no one was around to hear and I brushed up on some of my dance moves for everyone. Roger Rabbit. Running Man. Kid 'n Play. Dropping it Low. (If you don't know what I am talking about you are way too young to be reading this blog) (or old) (but don't stop reading) I would have worked on Worm but I had to wear the same pants and shirt the next day and I didn't want to get all dusty. Stuff like that. While I danced in the dirt for Christian I told him this was also part of his anniversary gift. Feast your eyes on this! He likes to watch me dance. It makes him laugh but Sheldon was confused (he hasn't seen his mom dance yet) and Jay cried (I couldn't hold him while I danced). At 7:00pm sharp the sun went down behind the trees, the "fun" ended and we all had to go to bed. So we got in bed. And layed there. For hours. And hours. I finally took at sleeping pill at 2:00am before I considered shooting myself in the head.

So that was it. Good times people. Good times. 4 years. We might get a little more boring every year but I would also say we get a little better. Happy Anniversary to us.










Even though we were hiking with the children and hadn't brushed our teeth, Christian decided to get a little naughty with me. Christian- I'm sorry that I don't take your sexiness for real and laugh at you. I laugh when I get turned on... I do.

7 comments:

Luna said...

You crack me up Susie! That sounds like a trip! HOW did you not fall asleep of boredom?

HeatherWasHere said...

This is so funny. I've had to read it a few times. The running man?! Christian is soooo lucky!

The Faridoni Fam said...

I bust out those same moves to entertain the kids and hubby (regurarly). Maybe next get together we can have a dance off.

kelly said...

I haven't read your blog in so long and once again, I must say...I LOVE IT. I really do think you are such a fun and funny person. I bet your dancing was just as good as it ever was, I would have liked to see that.

Rebecca Demke said...

Sounds memorable, which when you get older is even better than fun.
Miss you all.

April Hunsaker said...

Susie I find your blog so riveting everytime I read it. I haven't been good about updating mine. Sigh. Did I mention how much I loved your costume at my party?? You are so luminous. Seriously, I think you come up with the best ideas!!

Hafer Family said...

YOU SERIOUSLY R THE FUNNIEST PERSON/WRITER I HAVE EVER MET!!! the best part is, I know you, you live by me, go to church with me, etc.. so I know every word is actually true!!!!