Monday, March 2, 2009

Skatin' it old skool.

There is nothing I used to love more than Roller Skating, so to fill in some free time with Gavin this past weekend I decided to introduce him to this classic Saturday afternoon activity. Excuse me. That I still love. If I could. I had to sit this one out. However, it was....AWESOME! More for him or me, I don't know. Like I said he had never been but he was begging for a pair of skates after we left so I would say it was a hit. A hit for me as well even though I was fatly parked on the sidelines. 
It was like stepping back in time-  just how I remember it. Maybe with slightly updated attire. Slightly. Very slightly. But that's what made it so fun. I was happy to see all my old comrades there. You know- the "regulars".  The same old Kids in America who have been haunting the Roller Rink for decades. Some were a new generation of Rinkers but I was pleased to see most of the same people there that I probably once skated with and even a few from before that. So thank you. Thank you all for still hanging around and giving me a nostalgic 2 hours. I'll be back. All of you, I will be back.

Here is a little re-cap of the day and my pals. See if you recognize anyone. Maybe one of them was you. Tell me if it was. Tell me if I missed someone. 

By the way. Some of these pictures are pretty crappy, I know. Obviously I had to be kind of sly and I'm just learning photo shop. When my subject would look suspiciously at me with my camera pointed right in their face I would just wave at my pretend kid "behind" them. I could be a paparazzi.





You have to start off Roller Skating with pizza. It's a law. It's fuel for the fire. 


 
Slurpees is what you drink at the rink. That is also a law.


We started off slowly and lowly.



And cautiously.


Very cautiously. It hurts less if you start the fall closer to the ground.


Got it! And he's off! Steer clear people. 


Okay, so let me reintroduce the Roller Skater Saturday Afternoon Regulars. Let me bring it all back to you.


The Ref.


The Die Hard. Remnant from 1986.


The talented Backward Skater. And show off.


The Rink Rat. 


Rink Rat's mom, the ex Rink Rat in haute knock-off Juicy Couture. 


The Roller Mom.


Strange Single Middle Age Man who hangs out at the Rink on weekends.


Dancing. 


Oops. Him again. See he IS a show off. 


The Wall Flower.


Future Roller Skater Olympian. And I do believe there is such a thing as Roller Skating Olympics.


Future Roller Durby girl. That girl is not doing a dance move behind her she is trying to regain her balance.


Skating to the Oldies. I have to add that I saw her walk out to her car after the session, alone, with her skates hung over her shoulder and put them in her trunk and drive off, alone. I was like- I love you.  
That's gonna be me.

You are never to old to enjoy an afternoon at the Rink. You know, if I wasn't pregnant and they didn't have osteoporosis we totally would have been tearing it up. Love you ladies. 

He?/She? was not there:(

Nor was she, but I really wish she had been. 

Let's move on to hair.

There was this oldie but goodie. I'm giving you a side and frontal. Bask in it.  FYI. I myself once had those exact same bangs. 1990. Straight up. 

And of course making it's debut at the coolest party in town. 
THE GLORIOUS BANANA CLIP! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! sing it. 
Do you notice the trend of sun glasses used as a hair piece? Hey, head bands pinch.

I have to say I'm sad this is a dying sport. Or hobby. I personally would like to bring skating, Roller Skating,  back into the main stream once again. It's up to us. The middle age Kids in America who grew up and experienced puberty at the Rink. We, who developed crushes and fell in love to Madonna- "Crazy For You" or SWV "Weak in the Knees" (sorry one more) Richard Marx "Right here Waiting for You" under the twinkling lights of the Disco Ball reflecting and swirling off the polished wood floor to a couples skate. We, who skated out to  Salt n Pepa- "Push It". We, who still bear scars on our knees from wipe outs of yore. Bring it back I say. Bring it all back. 

I will planning a big group FHE or Whit's birthday party at the Roller Rink so keep your ears open. 

11 comments:

The Gallup Family said...

you are so hillarious!!! I am a big roller skating fan. We are so going to do the Hokey Pokey ( if they still do that) after you have the baby!

Elizabeth said...

I think you forgot a couple of categories: fifth-grade girls who fled the rink and headed for the bathroom as the sounds of Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me" melted into the sweet strains of Bryan Adams...lest a BOY ask them to skate. (That would be me.) Also: the klutzes who couldn't quite manage going against the disco ball lights on the Reverse Skate. (Me again.) That always made me dizzy and crash into people.

HeatherWasHere said...

Whatever time this took to post 50 pictures, it was WELL worth it. I am skating thru nostalgia right now. This is absolutely hilarious. You neglected to mention the licorice ropes. A skating standard. Do they still have the same carpet? And your blond eighties queen looked remarkably like Tonya Harding would by now. Hmmm... What's the phone number to National Enquirer?

melancholyjune said...

This was very entertaining! I am glad Gavin had a blast! I wish I were better at roller skating... I'll have to try again in 4+ months

kelly said...

I love roller skating! I used to pretend I was a pro in my driveway and I made up routines. I love all the papparazzi pics. I got a really good one the other day at the gym on my phone. This girl had full on make up and hair done, even fake eyelashes and she was moving very slowly on the eliptical. I just had to pretend I was having a hard time seeing my phone, unfortunatley my phone makes a camera sound when snapping pictures, fortunatley, I think it was too loud in the gym for anyone to hear it. Maybe you can give me some tips...Hey, next time invite me and my 8 year old, maybe I could get ahold of some leg warmers or something.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Okay, there have been sooooo many times that we've been out that I'm like "WHERE IS MY FREAKIN CAMERA???"....even though when I DO have it I can't get the photos because it would be totally obvious. Thanks for the tip on the fake kids thing. D'ya think that would work in the check out line at Walmart? Hmmm...

...the banana clip. HAHAHAHAHAHA...

The Ward Family said...

That was great!!! THank you! :) I too loved the roller rink "Skate Express." Good times. Thanks for bring it back!

Wynn Family said...

LOVED! IT!!! I have found memories of the roller rink!!! Banana clip was PRICELESS. You have such a way with words Susie!!! I am searching right now for roller rinks in the area and am going to do my part to bring it back!!

April Hunsaker said...

That looks like so much fun! Lets go skating here the next time Gavin is here. Lacey loves to skate too. Maybe we can all go together.

jenny demke said...

i love this. roller rinks are always filled with such classy people...

Hafer Family said...

where do you find the time!!!!?? you are so funny!!