BUT- this is about husbands (good ol' husbands that get no blogging love) (except to make fun of them) (and they probably don't care) (mine certainly doesn't) and since it was Christian's birthday on Monday I am continuing my "Tribute to Christian" post(s). That's what that last one was. Yes it was.
Anyway, this is for Heather because she has only been around Christian like- 4 times. We live very far apart and when they come out here to Disneyland they don't call. So Heather when you see him again you can feel like best friends/this close. He will hug you too, if you ask.
Some of you know him, many of you don't so I will try to give up a few basics and surprises. If I can. He keeps it pretty real.
Christian Charles Demke- Born January 19th at 2:51 pm. Approximately. Okay- a total random guess.
5 favorite things....
1) His job. Not just working, but his actual job/profession. He built his business up from practically nothing so it's like an extension of him. It is him. I know he is very proud of it. He should be.
2) Playing basketball with his friends. Tuesdays evenings.
3) Going to the movies. Good movies are a bonus but even a stinker is okay. He just loves the whole "experience". He has been to more movies in one year of his life than I have in my entire. I love this because he always wants to go and it still feels like a treat to me. We NEVER went growing up and it never occurred to me as an adult I could do it anytime I wanted, if I felt like it. How novel. This however was not lost on Christian. So we go a lot and I love it. I am going to add to this. Anything Christian couldn't do as a child he does it all now. I'm not talking about breaking rules. I mean things that were not possible in family of six kids. Did you do this with sugar cereal as soon as you moved out of your parents house? He likes to spoil himself as a grown up and since we are married I get to come along for the ride. But we never take the kids. They will have to do that for themselves when they grow up.
4) His kids. Being a dad. He waited a long time. And considering the circumstances I don't think I've seen any man do it better. I mean that.
5) His horses. Telling people he is a cowboy. He really is one you know. It was his childhood dream and he is living it. He loves, loves, loves to ride and he loves the horses like his.....cousins. I would say kids but he would tell me no. So maybe the equivalent of cousins. That's not an insult to the cousins, it means he really loves his horses. The horses are also fall into what I was talking about in #3.
5 thing on his" To-Do" list....
1) Get our (new) yards in working order and super fun again.
2) Have a buttload of kids.
3) Take a long horse ride to Canada. I asked why Canada. He said- It's not the destination, it's the journey. Basically he just wants to go on a really, really long horse ride. Like an expedition.
4) Enter another rodeo. Yee Ha! I will make sure and attend this one. I don't think I'm forgiven for that yet. Hey, it was like 110 outside and Sheldon is a screamer.
5) Grow a full beard or a handle bar mustache. Trust me I'm not pushing for that.
5 snacks he loves....
1) Chocolate chip cookies with milk and ice. This counts as a meal too BTW. This is his own personal Nirvana. Best served with a Lakers game. If he could bring one thing back to heaven from earth it would be those 3 things.
2) Fruit snacks
3) Apparently gummy bears. I just found this out.
4) Burritos. Not a snack but he doesn't like a lot of snacks in general so I just have to head into food he likes.
5) Steak. Mashed potatoes. Keeps it real.
5 Facts you may NOT know....
1) He showers at night.
2) He has the head of hair like a 13 year old boy. Tons of it. Not a trace of baldness. I hope I didn't jinx him.
3) He does not like Disneyland or the beach. To many loud obnoxious happy people who get loud and obnoxious because they are so happy to be there. He would rather not be around you. No offense.
4) He is a whizbang at math. He calls himself a mathlete.
5) He has a heart murmur. Before you hold your hand over your heart and feel sad, this one really cracks me up. I never heard anything about it until it was time for some dental work at the dentist. Then is was an issue. Hmmm.
5) He is one semester shy of graduating college. Is that accurate? But he graduated High School like 2 years early. He and his partner (business partner) started up their business while they were still students at BYU and found themselves sort of a- we have to go with it now situation- and it was a make or break deal at the time. So they went with it. Moved back to California and went full steam ahead. Well, full steam/chugging. There were still a few more "difficult" years. But they were smart boys. Still are. If you have an hour ask him why he deserves an honorary degree. If you have another ask him if he thinks a college degree is that important. Like a good solid hour. He makes some pretty convincing arguments.
5 places he has lived....
1) Lincoln, Nebraska (birth place)
2) Bakersfield, California (eww)
3) Provo, Utah (BYU)
4) Newport Beach, California (single rich days)
5) Norco, California (home sweet home)
Top 5 quirky things about him....
This one was easy because Christian is in general very quirky, so I'm just picking from the hat.
1) He loves UFC. Ultimate Fighting Championship. And I bet if he had one crazy chance to do it he would. These are big nights at our house.
2) He has almost the same personality of his mother. In almost EVERY way. Seriously. Which is fine because I really like my mother in law. I have been observing the two of them for 2 years now and I'm telling you the apple did not fall far from the tree. They are so much alike. I bet they both would deny it though. Or now maybe not because I said that:) Hmmm? But it's true. That's a compliment to Becky and Christian. I love them both tremendously. I could write pages on their similarities. At least what I see.
3) He hates ANYTHING creamy. It will make him gag. (He doesn't throw up) Mayonnaise is the worlds most offensive.....stuff to him and he won't stick around if you are going to eat it. He doesn't want to see it on the corners of your mouth. And when you put it that way I guess it is pretty gross. So needless to say, we don't eat mayonnaise around here. If I do it's on the sly.
4) He gets real major anxiety over going to eat at someone else's house. Like a mini panic attack anxiety. For fear of what may be in the food with out him knowing. This means anything mysterious and creamy. Even if he doesn't know or can't taste it he does not want it in his food and he is stressed you may have put it in there and he won't know it. Even as an ingredient. So don't be offended if we show up after dinner or "not hungry".
5) BUT- He can take bad smells. It's incredible. It's not like he enjoys them but he can take it. Unlike me who has absolutely no tolerance for people and their "odors" and will vomit and die if your breath smells and secretly not you like for a couple of weeks. Christian is pretty tolerant of offensive odors- bad breath, farts, barf, poo- not pleasant, but he'll manage. This makes things very comfortable for me. Especially being pregnant. Bless his heart. Little spot in heaven for him just for that.
I will add a 6. Because I want too.
6)He gets my sense of humor. And he kind of thinks I'm funny. Everyone else thinks I'm just rude and offensive but he gets it. He gets that it is all my awkward way of saying I love you. He likes my jokes and I have tons of them. And I make him laugh. So I just do it more. That's probably his biggest quirk. And the best.
I gotta tell you I really like this guy. He's pretty much my favorite person to be around.
Heather, I hope this helps the two of you cross a bridge. Together.
7 comments:
Oh Susie! This post made me miss you so much. I completely get your sense of humor and I love it, it goes quite well with mine! I was thinking the whole time as I was reading that your husband sounds a lot like mine and when I got to #3 quirky thing, the mayonnaise, I laughed out loud. My husband won't even pass the mayo, or open it, this includes ranch. One time I got some mayo on my finger and got him on the lip with it, I'm still regretting I did that.
Yay! I'm so glad you did it. It was fun, right? Thanks for playing along, I did learn much about my dear brother in law. I knew about things like the horses, the lots of kids, the job, just not the WHY. Now I feel so close to him...
Ahh,so that's why he wouldn't eat my famous Creamy Mayonnaise Jello Salad Dee-lite with Mayonnaise sauce.
i enjoyed this post. i never got to know christian whenever we were with family. he's reserved like josh, in sense. i will remember to take you guys OUT to eat when you come visit or make sure he's around during food prep time.
Okay, so I don't know him, probably never will, but I still enjoyed reading it. I think he and Roger should start an anti-mayo club. But he'd have to be president, since my hubster is busy being the pres of the anti-vinegar-based-products-sour-cream-mustard-relish-sweet-n-sour-sauce-onion-or-any-vegetable-with-a-color club. Oh, and the I would be perfectly fine just eating bacon for the rest of my life foundation.
what's with the demke boys and mayo?? i eat ranch dressing with pretty much everything, and andy will not get near my mouth until i brush my teeth.
I TOTALLY agree with the mayo thing!!!
Post a Comment