Sunday, January 4, 2009

Oh, Susannah!

Oh, Susannah!
Don't you cry for me
'Cause I come from Alabama with 
A banjo on my knee

This song haunted me when I was a child. It made me think of toothless banjo singers in pioneer dresses. Plus I never really liked my name growing up. I never felt like a Susannah and truthfully it never seemed to fit. Such a old name for such a fun, young (immature) girl. I longed for a really cool name like Brittany or Tiffany or Ariela (mermaid phase) or Alexis. THAT sounded so exotic. My friends older sister's friend who I thought was so beautiful and exotic was named Alexis. One year I tested myself out as Susan. When we moved to Fresno in the sixth grade because Susie seemed so.... well, Susie and Susannah was so... well, Susannah. But Susan- that just wasn't me either. So I stuck with Susie. The nick-name my dad gave me. 
I'm still kind of on the fence about the name Susannah but my mom loves it, so that makes me like it. But that song. I heard it a lot. That was probably the major reason I couldn't like my name. Somehow kids can take the lamest things and turn them into insults and the lamest things can become insults. But I kind of like that song now.  Sadly I've never been to Alabama and I've never played the banjo. But I could. If I felt like it. Maybe I will. Plus the title is actually spelled the way I spell my name. 
S-U-S-A-N-N-A-H. The "H" makes all the difference.

So I think I'm going to have to go with mom on this. "Oh, Susannah!" It just seems to fit the direction I'm going with this blog. Doesn't it always seem like I'm lamenting about something? It's kind of lamenty song. I like it, "Oh, Susannah!" Sing it a few times. It's catchy. Anyway, I'm giving it another chance. We have now come full circle.

The buckwheat cake
Was in her mouth  
The tear was in her eye (I certainly have cried with food in my mouth a few times)
Says I, I'm coming from the South
Susannah don't you cry

And mom- thank you for not naming me Brittany. 
Not that it's a bad name. But it's just not.... well, me.

10 comments:

HeatherWasHere said...

Good choice. Now you just to change your comment name to just Susie, because a google search will bring up all your comments, which link to your blog.
What the heck does that song mean? Does Susannah represent something else? That second verse is weird. I'd never heard it before.

Elizabeth said...

That's funny. I had a totally different interpretation of that song. I always thought of Susannah as a free-spirited little Southern girl, brown wavy hair, wearing a blue flour-sack dress, running barefoot through the dirt of her daddy's farm...you get the idea.

kelly said...

I love your name and it is so very YOU!

RMCarter said...

Susannah, Susan, Susie, or "The Suz",

I know what you mean about the 'theme song'.

I always got "Me-Shell, my belle..." followed by the rest of the song, sung in an awful french accent. I HATED it. This was before I learned who the Beatles were, and that they were actually kind-of cool.

I think Susie is awesome and suits you just fine! :)

jennifer said...

i was totally thinking about the "susan" phase the other day. ah... the good ol' days of the "be-fries".

and i 100% agree with your choice of title. it seriously fits you!

The Lehnick Family said...

I love it Susie! I think it fits you just perfect! You are such a sweet, sweet person...and CONGRATS on the pregnancy! What another sweet blessing to add to your wonderful family!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Thanks for the recipes...I'll have to modify them a bit since my house (clarified:my husband and therefore children) won't eat mushrooms, onions, beans, basically any veggies or anything healthy...I could continue the list but it's too depressing. What's so frustrating everthing they're turning their noses up to is stuff that they've gobbled up in the past- UGH! I'm thinking that I might try the "plain" idea. Just meat with something else. It's worth a try. Or I could just disappear every night between 4-7 and leave them to fend for themselves. Hmmm...

jenny demke said...

oh susannah...i like the new name.
i grew up with boys at school calling me "Jenny Craig" (i wasn't even THAT fat!) ges to show there's no such thung as a perfect name. but susie/susannah fits you. don't change it.

Alyson | New England Living said...

Remember me? I'm Heather's old friend from Modesto (a Bigelow). Anyway, I seem to recall calling you Susie. Was it just your dad that called you that? For some reason Susie is what I remember.

I think Susannah is a beautiful name.

Susie Demke said...

Yes, it has always been Susie. But my dad gave me the nick name. Nice to hear from you! I very much remember you and your family.