Not quite.
Even worse.
Good enough. The Demke's
Today is the BIG 0-2! Christian and I are celebrating 2 whole years of marital bliss! Wahoo! I know most of our friends are coming up on 8,9,10, even 14!, but we are pretty excited about celebrating 2 years. Hey we're still newlyweds. How fun is that? It's fun.
I don't know if either one of us even imagined what we had coming but we both agree, despite all the challenges we have endured so far, life just wasn't as good until we paired up. I always tell him-There is no else I would rather do this with. All the hard stuff. All the good stuff. Life. It's all been better with him.
Christian is my best friend. He tells me I'm his. I know most everyone on both sides of the family were surprised that we ended up together. Some were even skeptical. But we have a lot more in common than meets the eye. We both can watch really stupid movies and be fairly entertained. We both laugh out loud at all the same parts. We both love movie popcorn and get sick after eating it. Me- physically.... Mmm... well maybe the similarities stop there but we're moving in the same direction. Isn't that what really matters? Trying to a least.
I think somewhere amid all the chaos and stress of trying to become a successful blended family we have hit our stride. I'm thankful to have a balance to all my quirks and imperfections and neurosis. I always tell him how lucky he was that he got me, but we ALL know it's really the other way around. Once while we were still engaged- Gavin, myself, and Whitley were driving back from Norco to Fresno and Gavin looked over at me in the car and said- Mom we sure are lucky we found Christian aren't we. Lots of tears. Yes, Gavin we are. Not only is Christian a wonderful husband and father he is a wonderful step-father. Talk about a difficult and sometimes thankless job. He has heard his fair share of- You can't make me, I'm asking MY MOM, and more variations of, but he is patient, kind, loyal, and loving to 3 children who will hopefully someday see how much he does for them and their mother. We are lucky we found Christian. He was just hiding out in Norco for the past 30 years! Christian is the glue that holds this ship together. Our hodge podge boat that I'm the captain of. It floats just fine and we may be moving along slowly but we're moving along and hopefully always in the right direction.
I have to just share this. It's been a rocky road for all of us. We kind of have a different set of rules than most families and it's hard to navigate around them at times. But we make it work. We try to make to make it fun. We all make sacrifices and sometimes someone comes up short. But we just try to roll with it and be there for each other. We try to remember to hug and smile and kiss. Maybe sometimes if you were to ask there would be things I wish we could change but we can't. Things are the way they are and we have to learn to just be happy anyway.
In a way we are really celebrating 2 years of becoming a family. One big happy family- with a lot of smelly stupid pets. Mostly just the cat and dog. They are so stupid. Our anniversary marks the beginning of our marriage and the marriage of 2 kids, some ex's, step-parents, step- grandparents, half- brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, old cats, and you name it. It's whole pot of a lot of people and one divorced cat. It makes for a lot of Christmas presents. We have however decided to leave them all home this year and just the 2 of us take our anniversary trip. To Roaton! Airfare would have been outrageous.
My mother told me I should always date the nerds. They make great husbands she told me. This they do! So to my nerd- My whip smart, funny, urban rodeo cowboy, speedo wearing nerd. I love you. Happy Anniversary and thank you for the last 2 years. It's been a pleasure doing business with you!
I'll talk more about the speedo in my next post. We're out of here!
7 comments:
Susie,
I am happy that you found Christian too. I actually think you guys are great together and hope you have many more years of wedded bliss!
Congrats! Fun to see some wedding pics! You have a darling family
You are lucky. Christian has always been one of my favorite people.Heis one person thatcan make me laugh hard. Oh and congrats on 2 years. We must be your 14 year friends.
You look so beautiful in your wedding dress! I love the dress. Happy anniversary, have a fabulous time on your trip!
Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing the wedding pictures! You look beautiful!
cool post- you are so fun- hope we can get together soon! your wedding pics are really great.
I thought this post was great! He sounds like quite a catch. ;) You're right: Date the jocks... marry the nerds. I married a dork, but close enough. (I say that with lots of love.) :)
Happy anniversary!
Post a Comment