Friday, September 25, 2009

Fire!


 As many of you know we had a fire come through our Norco Hills this past Tuesday. The Riverside fires you were hearing about on the news. That was us. That was in our neighborhood! Our street! 
 I was at play group that afternoon and I could see smoke up coming up over the hills in the general direction of our house. I thought nothing of it. Then there was more. And more. And more. One of the moms at the play group called her sister and she said she heard on the news the fire was by a community college in the Riverside area. I didn't know where the community college was so I called Whitely's dad who is a firefighter for Chino Hills and asked him if he had heard anything. He told me he had not, so it couldn't be too out of control because when it gets out of control, that's when they start notifying other fire departments. Then he calls me back and tells me exactly where it is located, which was very close to us, and that he will keep us posted. I called Christian to tell him and he decided to come out to the house to check on the horses and to let them out of their stalls, because the smoke would make them panic. A few minutes later I get a text message from Whit's dad telling me it's much closer than he had previously heard; they had been notified(!) and that he was not telling me what to do, but maybe we should not go back to the house. 
 This is when I learned my lesson about being prepared. Because that was when I freaked out. I got panicked and started running around in circles trying to think of what I needed to save, where it was, what I should grab for who and all that stuff. And that's more complicated than you would think. Especially if you are not thinking calmly and clearly. Erin wrote a really good blog about her thoughts on being prepared in an emergency situation after thinking about what happened at our house, which are basically my thoughts as well, so you can cross reference.  
I can feel my friend Leslie saying right now- I've got it done! Her hubs is a firefighter. In their gorgeous home that looks like it could be in a magazine, they have fire extinguishers adorning every room in their house. It's part of their decor.
 This is what we packed up. The dog, horses, David's turtle and tortoise, (we forgot the snake-oops), all our computers, baby clothes, our pictures, albums, journals, church and legal documents and  baby formula. I forgot the diapers! My thoughts behind saving only Jay's clothes, is that he throws up a lot and poops on them all the time and I change him at least twice a day. He needs the most clothes. I only had a few minutes to pick. Plus he just got a whole bunch for being born and they are all so new and cute and I couldn't let them go to waste. I want my children to know, saving only his clothes has absolutely nothing to do with the order in which I love them. That's based on something totally different. And that was a joke for those of you who wouldn't get it and made me ruin the joke by having to add that. 
I wasn't "scared" that day. I was frantic. I knew everything was going to be fine. I never once felt that we were in danger, I was just kind of bummed. I didn't know what kind of damage, if any, was going to be done to our house and what kind of clean up or loss it might entail, if any. Maybe I was in denial. 
 BUT, coming home and being able to see for ourselves how close the fire actually had been, that's when I realized how lucky we were. It came right up to the edge of our street, at the top of our street; where it T's off. That's 3 houses up from us. Up the street, to the right on the little dead end road the fire had stopped right at the edge of that family's yard. Like- right up to the edge. One side is charred, the other side is yard. They must be feeling so lucky and grateful. Gavin and Rebecca's little hide-out was burned. Which, to be honest, is okay by me because I was never that crazy about them playing in that big bush. 
 We were SO SO SO lucky and I think many prayers were answered that day. We were told it was contained at all times but coming home and seeing how CLOSE it was to our house....
 We are so grateful to all the fire fighters and others who work and train for these kinds of situations to keep us safe and all the things that are important to us as well.  Like our houses. 
 I do have to add this. To give you a true idea of the kind of person I am and where my priorities are- When I was driving up to my house from the play group, wondering what was going on, in somewhat of a panic, I was trying to go through in my mind all the things I wanted to take and where they might be and how to most effectively get this done. My first thought went to the curry chicken I had simmering in the crock pot that I had started cooking earlier that morning. It was filled to the brim and I was wondering how I could get it into the car without spilling it. Should I let a little broth out or maybe just transfer it to another bowl or Tupperware??? I didn't want to waste it! I had been looking forward to it all morning! Ask Erin how much I was obsessing over the loss of my chicken. 
So yes, that would be me. Thinking to save the food first. Mom of the Year.



This was what I first saw. Didn't seem too bad. 

This was cool, watching the helicopters flying over us. Did you know they can suck up 500 hundred gallons of water in 60 SECONDS!

They used the golf course ponds for water. Can you see the hose?



All the trees and brush you see running through the course, that was what caught on fire moving towards us. These were all taken from our back yard. 


These were the last 2 photos I took before we left. The fire came up even closer! Right up to the edges of our horse trails. 

After photos.







You can see how the fire worked it's way through the golf course brush. 





This was where Gavin's hide-out was located. Was.

As you can see. Right up to the trails.  We are 3 houses down from that. 

What a day!

6 comments:

HeatherWasHere said...

WOW. Your and Erin's posts have me thinking too. I also need to get everything together. A good little project to give lots of peace of mind.

How was the chicken?

The Faridoni Fam said...

That is so scary! For the record, I'm just as unprepared as you were. Been thinking more and more about preparedness lately and I am going to get it together asap now. Glad you are all safe.

jennifer said...

i saw your mobile pictures posted on facebook last week. i was so worried for you guys! can't even imagine what it would've been like to look around your home and wonder if you'd ever see it again.

i'm so happy it all turned out well. thank you for sharing your experience - hopefully it will be a wake up call to all of us to get our emergency preparedness in order. i know i need the motivation to get it together!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

At least you could think of things to pack up....I'd be frantic and not take anything.

Except the chicken. TOTALLY the chicken. Don't even think for one second that I'm joking either.

jenny demke said...

yikes. i heard about the fires on the news, but i had no idea it was that close to you guys. i feel bad. i'm so out of the loop. glad to see everything turned out okay. whew!

Craig and Patricia said...

Quoting Jenny

"Blogger jenny demke said...

yikes. i heard about the fires on the news, but i had no idea it was that close to you guys. i feel bad. i'm so out of the loop. glad to see everything turned out okay. whew!"

and what a crazy weekend Aunt Ginger had too. her house with the sheep fire... it got really close and still can go back the way it was going. Which was like the same distance of the fire by you and your home. I hope this will be the last family home scare this year. so far there have been too many.