I have a secret and it's called- I love Marie Osmond.
Love/a little obsessed. This crush/ obsession started back when I was 13 and she came to Fresno performing in The Sound of Music. Our family actually had good seats we were on the floor and in the center. I remember it. I could see her so closely. She was mesmerizing and so beautiful. I sat there my eyes fixed on Maria and mouthed along to all her lines and songs. High on a hill was a lonely goat herd. When she came out to take a bow I was crying. After the show my dad told me who she was- I fell in love that night and had the desire for the next 5 years of my life to become a real stage actress. Yes I know. A real stage actress. If you asked me that's what I would have told you. Over the course of my life I have watched her, read about her and cheered and cried when she was on Dancing with the Stars. I forgave her for the hideous blue dress. I have worn a few unflattering outfits myself. I don't throw stones. I got the "Doll" number- her last dance. She sells dolls people. You had to see that coming. I was one of the many fans who were truly disappointed when The Donnie and Marie Show was canceled. It was funny! Like when she cut the big square of fabric out of her brothers sport coat. Classic. I saw her on Oprah after my son Gavin was born. I was sitting on the couch nursing and crying. I had been doing that for 7 months. She was on talking about her experience with post- partum depression. It was the first time I heard the term and I starting crying even harder because I finally realized that that was what I had. I wasn't a horrible awful unnatural womanmother. I made an appointment with my doctor the next day. I feel like if we met we could be friends. How much do I wish we were friends. You have to admit she is truly a beauty product right out of Alpine Utah. Yes I even know where she lives. Well, the city. I made Jerusha tell me. She won't give me her address though. I love her hair. Just brown, like my own and even though I'm pretty certain her eyelashes are fake (we all do) they are so thick and there are so many. I want her eyelashes and even if they are'nt au natureal she applies them perfectly. Mine always look crooked and gluey.
SO. My sweet cousin Alison Demke sent me, out of the blue one of Marie Osmond's dolls. Named for her own mother. Susie Butterfly Tiny Tot. That's the name of the doll. What are the chances?! It's my name AND I love butterflies! And I love Marie. And I have the same name as her mother! It comes with a certificate of authenticity. All her dolls do. You won't get one if it's a fake. And it comes with an aspiring and inspirational message from Marie. I will share.
" Maire Osmond invites us all to strive to become butterflies, meaning to remember that we were born to "fly", and to not give that up by settling to shelter ourselves in a cocoon. "Susie Butterfly Tiny Tot" is an elegant, beautiful reminder to stay on the path of our transformation, and was created and named for her sculptor's mother."
I have always felt connected to Marie. We are both strong Mormon women. We both love to sing. She's good, I'm not. We both had post partum-depression. Not fun. We both have been to the big D and I don't mean Dallas. We both cry a lot. We both are a little country. We both been single mothers and we both have brown hair. We all have our heroes and she might be mine. Once in beauty school Keisha tried to tell everybody she did her hair (Marie's) at some awards show which was a big fat lie because she hadn't even graduated from school yet and she wasn't even that good to begin with. She made up some story about Marie when we were waiting to clock out that I'm not going to repeat but I knew it WAS NOT TRUE. About her hair. I defended her to all the girls at school and called out Keisha and the lie she was trying to convince everybody of to make herself look important. How do you know Susie?- they all asked. Because I am Mormon and we all know each other. Blank stares. You are Mormon? Yes and we don't lie........ You are Mormon?
Anyway it was a bold move for me because Keisha really could have kicked my butt. But I stood my ground and besides I had more friends than her. But I was cautious for the next few days when I went in the bathroom.
Thank you Alison. I love Susie Butterfly Tiny Tot and that meant a lot to me. She ordered this out of Readers Digest-not from QVC. That was a lot of trouble but you remembered and you knew and it warmed my heart. I have to hide her from Whitley who is notorious for breaking dolls. But we both love it. I have her up high and in my room. Next to her certificate of authenticity. Which I proudly show to people. Remember if you don't have one it's a fake. I personally am going to accept that invitation to become a butterfly and fly. Right to the refrigerator. I saw some spinach dip way in the back calling my name.
1 comment:
Susie! You've been holding out on me! Reading your blog is much like talking to you, I can't get enough. Oooh I sound like a psycho stalker, don't I? Oh well...
Post a Comment