Friday, November 28, 2008

pop pop the ol' dust mop

My term of endearment.

I was talking to my dad today and lamenting over some Gavin issues. Again. Some new changes coming up.  I was worrying (out loud) trying to figure out what would/could/should happen a year from now, 4 years from now; about planes, trains, missions, weddings, social security, you name it, related to Gavin and this crappy custody order. 
He stopped me mid sentence and said- (or very close)
Susie don't worry about that right now, You can't do anything about it now so don't think about it. Just get through today. 
Good ol' Dad. He always gets it just right. 
You know what? I think I will! 
It was nice to have permission to take a load off. I will deal with that when I get there.  
It's been an easy day today and it felt nice. Happy Thanksgiving to me!




7 comments:

Ange said...

Dads are so smart!! I feel the same way about mine! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!!

kristyn said...

I agree, fathers' advice is always the best advice. I always stress about what the future holds too--especially for Alta. I have to keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time or else my anxiety gets the best of me and I feel like I rob my kids of a fun, stress-free mom. It's a hard task. Sorry that you are still in the throes of all that. Hopefully it will get better soon.

The Lehnick Family said...

Susie...I can somewhat relate to worrying about the future...but now that we have our little Brayden...well, I just live for today. If I worry about even a year from now, I will stress myself out. Follow your dad's advice...our kids need us to be sane and to just live for today! My motto is Live for Today, Cherish Yesterday and Dream about Tomorrow...that about sums it up! You are a great mom and I know you just want whats best for Gavin and all of your children...I feel ya, I really do!

RMCarter said...

You know, it's funny, your dad has always known just what to say for me too. Let me explain...

Twice, he has come to speak in our ward and both times, it's like he wrote the talk just for me. Both times, I was in tears, scribbling notes and things to look up once I got home. In fact, there are blog entries I wrote after each time he spoke. Here's one (a poem he shared): http://www.inpursuitofparenthood.com/2007/11/prayer.html

Anyway, in my opinion, he knew just what to say to you that day for 3 reasons 1) He's your dad 2) he has the priesthood and 3) He's just a wise and special guy. :)

Love you!

April Hunsaker said...

I am happy someone gave you permission not to worry. We all need that! Dads are awesome!

jenny demke said...

good advice. just "stay in the now". that is what andy has to tell himself when he gets really anxious..and it works! (most of the time).
call me or come over if you ever want to get your mind off things or vent(i know we dont live close)... but you're welcome if you ever feel up to it.

The Gallup Family said...

I erased your digits :( send me a text! Dude your a power blogger my pics have no journaling I have no time. I was so happy to see you and talk for a minute. You look great even though you feel miserable I bet:[ Sheldon's birth day looked like so much fun I wish we could have made it. I'm adding you to my blog:)